Friday, March 12, 2010

Angel

This is a poem inspired by both Judy Garland and my high school guidance counselor, Kerri Anne Mantz. It's kinda sentimental. Hope you enjoy it.


Escape to solitude and lock the door behind me.
Draw back a velvet curtain to the moonless sky above me.
Pitch black night flows through my veins; I'm empty.
I give myself to darkness, and the midnight is within me.

Time slips through my hands and I smile as my eyes close.
I wake to sunlight shining through the cracks in dirty windows.
Unprepared for God to save a soul that once was hollow,
an angel beckons me and so her guiding hand I follow.

I was trapped in endless dusk until her light gave birth to dawn.
I was broken, lost, and faithless; then I heard her healing song.
When a part of me was giving up, she gave me strength to carry on.
She shined a light upon the truth, illuminating all the wrong.

1 comment:

  1. I really, really like this poem. It is from your personal experience which gives this poem a special voice.
    That is what speaks in poetry - your voice.

    ReplyDelete