Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Gisele

I am currently breaking my "one post-per-week" rule to bring you the latest in my poetic excursions. The poem is for Gisele Galante Broida, the woman with whom I am currently enthralled. The 54-year-old Frenchwoman bears a striking resemblance to her mother, screen legend Olivia de Havilland (my IDOL, if you haven't read my past posts), and for some reason I find myself drawn to her. Not in a romantic way (not exactly, anyway), but in that maternal sort of attachment way. As happens to me a lot with older women I find interesting. I wrote the poem with the intent of sounding like a lesbian stalker. It just sounded fun. The poem is still in the working stages, so this is just a preview of what may become a decent piece of literature. So, here for your eyes, is my newest poem, aptly titled "Gisele."


I've watched you from a distance,
looking through the mask you wear.
I've looked beyond your smile,
seeing every scar you bear.

I've heard your heart beat faster
as you try to catch your breath.
Sweet time is rushing past you,
so you'll sleep upon your death.

Illusions smash to pieces
like a glass house kissed by rock.
Innocence is mythical;
sweet romance left the dock.

The pawn has hit the conflict,
like a wall of brick or stone.
So wide the world we venture;
in the end we trek alone.

But I shall follow closely
as you navigate each street,
basking in your victories,
mourning each defeat.

My Gisele, of poise and grace,
of beauty fine and fair-
you're forever in my heart,
in every midnight prayer.

But you shall never see me
for I watch so far away.
I don't wish to disturb thee,
so distant I shall stay.

But still, I watch intently,
seeing all you try to hide.
Close behind your every step
as you walk the world so wide.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty neat! I like your use of metaphors and similes. =D

    ReplyDelete