Friday, February 19, 2010

September Rain

The poem I wrote for Yvonne de Carlo on September 1, 2007. That would have been her 85th birthday. She died on January 8 of that same year. As a young child I developed a strange attachment to Yvonne. I had no stable maternal figure, but since no matter where I was I was always watching "Munsters" reruns, Yvonne became a substitute. She became a surrogate mother to me. I loved and respected her very much, and still have not gotten over her death. I have written several poems for her since her death. The first one being "Goodnight," which I wrote as soon as I heard about her death. "Dear Yvonne" was written during my first week of summer in 2007; "Salome- Where She Danced" was written a few weeks later. Then, I wrote both "Fall Into Darkness" and "Letting Go" in the same day. But the one I treasure most is this one. Partly because I wrote it on her birthday, and partly because I think it's the best out of all of them. So, enjoy.


Clouds of gray slow dance in the pale September sky-
a barricade of darkness that derails your angel light.
Dejected voices whisper words that echo through the night.
Faded red of moon's eclipse bears blood of years gone by.

Twinkle stars shine bright within the deep blue of your eyes.
The ocean trench runs deeper than regret of faithless lies.
Pretty smiles cover up the bruises that you hide.
There's just an empty wineglass left to catch the tears you've cried.


R.I.P



Yvonne de Carlo (September 1, 1922 - January 8, 2007)

1 comment:

  1. I really loved this poem. it is short but really leaves nothing unsaid it is all there and speaks of emptieness and love.

    ReplyDelete